Gallipoli 1915

Discussions about Kallistra, Kallistra Products and New Releases.
Robbie7

Gallipoli 1915

Post by Robbie7 »

My main Project for WW1.
I start with a confession....my current WW1 project is not using Kallistra figures :oops: . At my club, a set of divisional scale rules for WW1 are being developed and they are using Pendraken. In that lead pile that most wargamers have, was languishing some ww1 late French and so they are being painted up and based as the Moroccan Division of 1917 to be used at the club for those rules.

HOWEVER the Kallistra figures are so beautiful and well sculptured with so many alternative poses, so my long term early war project I will be using Kallistra and hopefully their rules. I want to refight Gallipoli 1915. Now this is risky because there is no sign of the Middle East on Paul and Sallys list of releases so I could end up with many key troop types (including the enemy forces) missing, which would be a little embarrassing. However for now I can make a start with the Allied forces and with my painting speed by the time I finish them, others might(will?) have become available.

Allied forces that I have started with.
The main British force at the start of the Gallipoli campaign was the 29th Division, formed from regular battalions that were on Empire Garrison duties at the outbreak of war. Some had Tropical helmets but the majority were uniformed in flat hats and service dress. So the Kallistra early war British are ideal (so painting them as 1914 BEF means I can use them for that campaign as well).

The French were also present in the campaign.
There were metropolitan (French) troops (175 & 176 regt) that were uniformed in new horizon blue uniforms. So the Kallistra Early war French infantry and Artillery painted in Horizon blue will be ok. (also can use them for 1915/16 western Front)
There were 'African' troops present as well. A foreign Legion battalion so the early war French will again suffice with the following paint scheme: off white covers for the Kepi, mustard tinged khaki for the coats and off white trousers and black leather equipment. The legionairres were brigaded with Zouaves. I did wonder about using the Zouaves from the ACW range but its probably easier to trim off the kepi cap cover on the early war French Figures.

So that's the start. I will post updates and hopefully photos as I go along

take care
Sally

Re: Gallipoli 1915

Post by Sally »

:D Hi and welcome to the forum Robbie7 . Your Gallipoli project sounds great. I look forward to your updates and photos of your project as it progresses.
Robbie7

Post by Robbie7 »

Thank you for your kind welcome.
Sally

Post by Sally »

Carlos, Ceportugues, has emailed over some pictures of his Gallipoli diorama for me to post on his behalf.
Great piece for work Carlos, thank you for sharing your pictures with us all! :D
Attachments
gallipoli 1.jpg
gallipoli 2.jpg
gallipoli 3.jpg
gallipoli 4.jpg
Rassmappprewpo

Post by Rassmappprewpo »

What I read I really liked it. Thank you for your information!