First Battle of the Marne

Discussions about Kallistra, Kallistra Products and New Releases.
monk2002uk

First Battle of the Marne

Post by monk2002uk »

Last weekend was the 100th anniversary of the First Battle of the Marne. A small group of us put on a wargame and then an exhibition of the battlefield. The wargame gave us a chance to try out the battlefield set up in advance. The town of Dormans, located in the Champagne region and famous for its beautiful chapel commemorating the First and Second Battles of the Marne (see here), gave us use of the local chateau for the wargame and then the chapel for the exhibition last weekend. There were seven tables, each measuring 4' x 8' for the exhibition. The wargame used only 5. The set up represented 60km of front, stretching from Nanteuil (where the Paris taxis unloaded men) right around to the east of the St Gond marshes. More than 22 box sets of Hexon II terrain were used to create an exact replica of the terrain in the area. I am putting the photographs together, along with some video walk-bys. These will feature the 10,000 6mm figures that were used, plus the other terrain features. I will let everyone on the group know when the material is ready.

Robert
monk2002uk

Re: First Battle of the Marne

Post by monk2002uk »

Meanwhile, here are a couple of photographs of the tables set up for the wargame.
Battlefield+Overview+2.jpg
Battlefield+Overview.jpg
You can just make out the edges of the Hexon terrain under the edges of the table cloths.

Robert
von Klinkerhoffen

Post by von Klinkerhoffen »

Looks good.

Interesting that you used Hexon terrain and then covered them with cloths?
von Klinkerhoffen
Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!
monk2002uk

Post by monk2002uk »

Thank you. The view of all the tables in the same area is even more impressive.

The Hexon Terrain was brilliant for modelling the contours. I have some overhead shots of the whole set up before the cloths were laid over. With 22 boxes worth, it isn't the case that I don't like Hexon Terrain. I don't use hex-based rules though and my preference is to use the cloths to provide a different surface. Now I can create pretty much any WW1 battlefield in large scale. Next is First Ypres.

Robert
von Klinkerhoffen

Should be interesting to see.
von Klinkerhoffen
Norm

Post by Norm »

What a fab weekend that must have been, a true wargame fest. Also interesting to see the cloth over Hexon idea. All very good.
monk2002uk

Post by monk2002uk »

We spent a week in Dormans the first time round in August. Then the long weekend over September 6/7 just gone. We allowed a day either side for the setting out and packing away. It was a fab time.

I have uploaded a more background information and some extra pictures. The page here has links to 'Planning for the Battle' and 'The Town of Dormans'. The next page is being worked on now and will contain photos of the set up phase for the wargames. I will post this link when that work is complete. There will also be pages on the wargaming and on the exhibition in due course.

The upcoming photos will include several views of the Hexon Terrain being set up.

Robert
von Klinkerhoffen

Nice update Robert.
von Klinkerhoffen
monk2002uk

Post by monk2002uk »

There is a description of the set up process for the wargames here.

Robert
monk2002uk

Post by monk2002uk »

Here's another example of what can be put together at quite short notice now. This photograph shows the area to the east and south of Neufchâteau in Belgium. The town of Longlier can be seen in the distance. It was the scene of heavy fighting on August 20th 1914, in the prelude to the Battle of the Frontiers two days later:
Longlier from the South.JPG
Robert