Double round tower gate entrance

Discussions about Kallistra, Kallistra Products and New Releases.
wargamer1979

Double round tower gate entrance

Post by wargamer1979 »

Hello Everybody

I am considering using two Kallistra round towers mounted onto two adjacent brown hexes glued together. Then creating a new piece using some fimo to join the two towers to create a new style of gatehouse.

I am thinking if the towers are slightly displaced from centre then it might be possible to fit kallistras standard pewter door underneath.

I would glue the two other pieces of wall onto the towers at 120 degrees to align with my walls and hopefully be able to fill the slight crack that would occur with some filler modelling putty. Does anybody know what brand of modelling putty Sally uses to fill cracks? (or if you are reading Sally please can you add a post).

Not sure if having two possible hexes to stand on next to an entrance door would affect the rules of knocking the door down?

Hope to hear from you soon with your views.

Best wishes

Graham
Paul K

Re: Double round tower gate entrance

Post by Paul K »

Hi Graham,
Sorry about the delayed reply - I started to experiment with the two round towers on adjacent hexes and it is possible to fit a gateway between them with some careful modelling, however the siege and assault rules would require a gateway hex for units of troops to pass through. I'm not sure how to get around this but the rules could easily be tweaked to accommodate this set up.

For filling and modelling I mostly use milliput standard or silver/grey. You can mix various fillers into the milliput to change its colour and physical characteristics - some experimentation will be required to achieve the most suitable mix. The milliput can be thinned with water as required.
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk
wargamer1979

Post by wargamer1979 »

Hi Paul

Many thanks for all the replies. An initial thought that came to me about rules for the double round tower gate house is that the base i.e. the two hexagons the towers stand on could be considered and modelled as a single zone (filling up the crack between the two hexes). This would allow the troops to stand under the gate when they have knocked it through with the battering ram.

If you have any further thoughts on this rules tweak please can you add a post?

Best wishes

Graham
Paul K

Post by Paul K »

Hi Graham,

I set out a scenario with the double hex tower/gateway as you described. The idea seamed OK, however the number of inside hexes which could defend the the double hex is increased from 2 to 3, which in many ways increases the defenders position if they can concentrate enough available defenders into these 3 hexes. It could be argued that the attackers position is also increased proportionately because the 2 units could be accommodated in the double gateway hex. It certainly could be made to work with a little tinkering with the rules, but I would need to explore various events and possible outcomes to see what the ramifications would be. My instincts and experience would suggest that the double hex gateway would give greater advantage to the attacker than the defender mostly because of the larger number of units and Generals available to the attacker. It's an interesting scenario which demands a few test games!
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk