I am in two minds about changing to (1) big basing, at 80mm wide by 25mm or 30mm deep. I like the look of it and it is fewer bases to move, but March column is visually a problem (2) more tactical basing at 30mm frontages with 3 bases per hex. I am not keen on more bases, but it visually looks good for road March and might be useful with napoleonics as they have a range of orations that the gamer may like to see on the table.
as I get dragged further into this quandary, I now have units based up in all three methods. I need to run a few small games to see whether any practical issues show up ........ I do like those big bases though!
On a non-hexed table, for a small scale I would probably base at 6 bases per unit, but have the bases at 25mm frontages, or in 28mm, have 3 x 50mm bases holding 18 figures in 2 ranks.
I found the large base looked good, but didn't sit well on high ground and I couldn't do things that I wanted, such as show disrupted by moving bases within the unit apart and they were harder to fit into a hex that already contained terrain such as buildings.
The smaller bases didn't offer much, other than looked good in march mode. In practice, I was just giving myself an increase of 50% in bases that needed moving around.
I had glued and used filler / sand and flock on the new bases, so even breaking up just these few bases to return them to the 40mm x 20mm frontages was tedious (read sore fingers!), especially having done it once already to get them off the 40mm bases!!!!!! so have gone around in circles indeed.
So bottom line, through experimenting, I have returned to the fold! ............... 40mm x 20mm basing.
I have just found some Union bases that I did at 60 x 30, again as experimentation, but I felt that the scale was too large for that basing to look right and a 60mm base in my 100mm base didn't look right anyway ...... so more rebasing, I may as well recover everything while I am in the mood!
so that is 30mm(to give 90mm), 60mm and 80mm tried - anyway, back on track now. The feet / bases of my figures are fairly clogged now with the sand and paste from two previous basings, so I am using one of those new fine textures in a pot from GW to carefully work into the new bases.