Melees, following and M-markers

Discussions about Kallistra's Hex Based Rules
lukasb

Melees, following and M-markers

Post by lukasb »

Hi,
Let me ask you for following situations (armies A and B):

1. A is in melee hand to hand combat with B, A wins via destroying B but A has to follow to B´s ex-hex with another B units next to it. Is the M-marker removed? Is A fighting again with impacts?

2. The same situation, the only difference is: B is not destroyed, just recoil. M remains (of course), but except the recoiled B units there are another B units in the contact, do I suppose correctly that these "new" units do have their impacts?

3. If A is in the hand-to-hand combat with 2 B units (both next to each other), A is beaten and has to recoil/flee (directly away) - a) may I choose direction of one of these 2 B units, b) cannot as I has to go away just in from the unit I´m faced to?

4. If A is faced to point of hex (not side), is hitten by e.g. archers and has to recoil, what is the correct direction? a) directly away from archers b) "step away" in one of 2 possible ways (depends on me) c) any other solution?

Thank you!
Paul K

Re: Melees, following and M-markers

Post by Paul K »

Hi lukasb,

1. Because A wins the combat and automatically follows up making contact with a second B unit the Melee marker must stay on. It is only removed once the unit A is no longer in hex to hex contact with a B unit i.e. in an ongoing combat situation. At this point of no contact the A unit will automatically rally and re-order itself ready for another charge or contact and will be able to remove the melee marker and use its impact bonus once more.

2. Yes any 'fresh' units joining the combat will be able to use their impact bonus.

3. One of the two B units must follow up into the A units vacated hex while the other B unit must remain stationary. In a pursuit situation where lets say 2 B cavalry units have caused a A unit to flee, both B units must pursue, staying in the same hex to hex relationship to each other as they do so.
One of the B cavalry units must follow the same path of hexes as the fleeing A cavalry unit.

4. Any unit in hand-to-hand combat forced to recoil can do so in any direction which does not enter the zone of control of an enemy unit.

If a unit is forced to recoil by shooting it should always recoil towards its sides table edge unless this is prevented by the presence of other friendly units or terrain features.
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk