Raging Empires rules questions

Discussions about Kallistra's Hex Based Rules
tede

Raging Empires rules questions

Post by tede »

After a read through RE (not played yet), I have a couple of questions:

1. Can a base move from one ZOC hex to another (and stop)?
2. Please could you explain the artillery unit ratio? 2 guns in a 200-yard hex gives a battery frontage of 600 yards, which seems rather a lot. Photographs (such as this one: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/ ... omobi=true) seems to show an interval of about 20 yards, or 100 yards for a battery.

Many thanks

Tede
Paul K

Re: Raging Empires rules questions

Post by Paul K »

Hi Tede,

The ZOC rule was developed to enable differentiation between the close contact tactics or 'infiltration' employed by storm troopers and 'light infantry' and other units operating in a more 'conventional' way.

1. A base can move from one enemy ZOC directly to an adjacent enemy ZOC if the enemy unit(s) is suppressed. Unsuppressed storm troopers and Jager units can ignore this rule and enjoy free movement around enemy occupied hexes.
Because infantry can move two hexes in the 'open' they can in effect pull back a hex and then enter the adjacent enemy ZOC anyway. However, the ZOC does have a significant influence when engaging units defending woods, built up areas (BUAs), linear obstacles etc. where movement is reduced to one hex.

2. The deployment of field gun batteries in the 'mobile' period of the war has been a major subject of discussion between play testers. All the issues have certainly not yet all been resolved, however the 'representational' nature of the rule system does allow some flexibility. We have experimented with a maximum of 4 guns to a hex or 2 hex deployment (3 guns per hex). Perhaps these are more in tune with the ground scale. I had an interesting conversation on this subject with one of the re-enactors at the recent WW1 Centenary event at Rufford Abbey where we presented a Raging Empires display game. He suggested that in the open warfare of the early autumn of 1914 the British field gun batteries soon discovered that a wider deployment presented a far less concentrated target for enemy artillery and even machine guns. This seems to make sense but I have not yet had the opportunity to research this topic myself.

The draft version of the rule system was published to invite valued comments, questions and feedback so that we can develop and refine the Raging Empires system further before releasing the first full version.
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk