ACW hex rules queries

Discussions about Kallistra's Hex Based Rules
tede

ACW hex rules queries

Post by tede »

Thanks for sending a copy of the ACW playsheet. Please could I ask some questions?

1. What is the ground scale?
2. How many men or guns are represented by one base? This presumably determines the size of regiments and batteries.
3. In a charge, when do the defenders test morale? Is it during their own fire phase, and if they pass, can they then shoot at the chargers?
4. If the charge goes in successfully after firing, who rolls for hits on the "Charging into contact" table? Is it the attackers, or both sides?
5. How are results applied after a charge? Do both sides suffer the effects of hits, or only the loser, or ... ?
6. How does disruption affect charge combat?

Many thanks

Tede
Paul K

Re: ACW hex rules queries

Post by Paul K »

Hi tede,
Sorry about the delayed response – it’s been a case of to much to do and not enough time to do it in the last few days. I’ll ask Sally to e-mail you a later copy of the play sheets which might clarify a few points a little better. The rule set is still undergoing development and refinement, but the main game mechanics remain generally unchanged. I’ve answered your questions below but without the full written text of the rule system there will be many more areas in need of clarification. This ACW rule set is still ‘work in progress’ at the moment.
  1. 1.We were working to an approximate ground scale of one hex representing 100 yards.
  • 2.Each base of infantry represents 50 men and therefore a regiment of 200 would be four stands. Each artillery model represents one gun and support crew.
  • 3.Yes! The charged unit must test before they can shoot. They shoot at a range of one hex and the chargers cannot return fire.
  • 4+5. Both sides roll for effect on the combat table. Both units might recoil or even route! Alternatively they may both stand and engage in further rounds of hand-to-hand combat in subsequent phases.
  • 6. Disrupted units fight hand-to-hand with only one stand per hex the same as for shooting.
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk
tede

Re: ACW hex rules queries

Post by tede »

Thanks Paul.

Tede