Ancients?

Discussions about Kallistra's Hex Based Rules
KCGamer

Ancients?

Post by KCGamer »

Greetings. First time poster here. My question is, is there any intention to produce an ancients version of Hordes and Heroes?

Thank you,
Chris C.
Paul K

Re: Ancients?

Post by Paul K »

Hi Chris,

The H&H system has been used by many gamers to fight ancient battles. Although it was never originally intended to cover ancients a good number of people have experimented by creating the combat factors and points values for various ancient armies and pitching them against each other using H&H Medieval unchanged. Others have made special rules and adapted the basic system as required. Hex based ancient games have a good reputation. I can remember playing the hex based SPI board game 'Spartan' back in the 80's which was very popular with our group and encouraged many to up-scale to miniatures and try out ancient figure gaming for the first time.

I think that an ancient version of H&H can be developed quite easily, with very carefully constructed 'special rules' introduced which will allow the distinctive characteristics of various armies to be exhibited. This would need much research and input from experienced and knowledgeable ancient enthusiasts.
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk
dane

Post by dane »

If you like I can work out some army lists for Ancients
KCGamer

Post by KCGamer »

I'd love to see Ancients lists. I've been working on some myself, using some books from another game system as a guide, but I'd love to see what you can come up with.

The biggest problems I find are that I don't know how you would classify, say, Roman Legionaries as opposed to Greek Hoplites, and I have no idea how to handle javelins as a ranged combat weapon.
Paul K

Post by Paul K »

We had a discussion about the idea of H&H Ancients at the club (Forest Outlaws), on Tuesday night. Tony brought along part of his Greek army and we explored ways of moving a phalanx using hexes. A seed has been sewn and I recon it could work really well. We are starting to look at Ancient army lists!
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk
KCGamer

Post by KCGamer »

Wonderful! I'd been working on some of my own, but I'm sure my logic stream regarding the stats is totally off from yours. I'll keep my eyes open for your new lists! Thank you in advance!
dane

Post by dane »

Here we go then just roughly worked this up for Roman Imperial
class move H-H Char stand cost
Elite Legion's(7+) A 1 CR 5(+1) A2 4 14
Legion (7+) B 1 CR 5(+1) A2 4 13
Auxiliaries C 1 CR 3(+1) A2 4 10
Archers (7+) C 1CR 1 A1 4 8
Skirmish (7+) C 2CR 1 E2 4 7
Heavy Cavalry A 4CR 4(+1) A2 4 14
Auxiliaries Cavalry B 4CR 3(+2) A1 4 11
Skirmish Cavalry (7+)C 4CR 2 E2F 4 9
Scorpion C 1R 0 HF 3 6
Onager's c 1R 0 HF 2 6

SHORT LONG
1 -3 4
Scorpion 8+ H 11+ 2H 9+ H 11+ 2H

2 - 3 4
Onager 8+ H 11+ 2H 9+ H 11+ 2H

Legionary's both normal and Elite will throw Pilum's at attacker's and also when they charge costed at +1 point per unit

Javlins I think would be 1 hex but would make them next to useless for skirmishing so I surgets formed troops with javlin get to stand and shoot skirmishers will have 2 hex range to represent groups running forward throwing and dashing back.

I only gave the Romans +1 clash bonus as they walked methodically forward and minced where the more Barbarian tended to hit hard but not last to well in a drawn out fight

Dane
KCGamer

Post by KCGamer »

I like it. Interesting take on handling pila from the Legions. I had thought of just adding additional Impact points to account for throwing pila, but this would work too.
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

That's great , I already have the models to try this idea out :-)
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

I would absolutely love to see ancient armies for H&H. I believe minimal will have to be added/changed to accommodate it.