Hordes & Heroes medieval hex facing questions

Discussions about Kallistra's Hex Based Rules
Canis

Hordes & Heroes medieval hex facing questions

Post by Canis »

Hi,
I am reading the pdf rules of the Medieval version of Hordes & Heroes and I have some issues about movement and Hex facing (page 12, paragraph "unit facing within a hex"). :(

1) rules says that during movement, any unit can alter its facing by "one hex side or point with no movement penality" . This means that all the four following cases are allowed without no movement penality :

- a unit facing a hex side turns in order to face one of the two adjacent hex sides
- a unit facing a hex side "slightly" turns in order to face one of the two adjacent points
- a unit facing a point turns in order to face one of the two adjacent points
- a unit facing a point "slightly" turns in order to face one of the two adjacent hex sides

Is this assumption correct?

2) rules says that "units facing a point can in effect vector to the front left or front right and therefore still RETAIN their POINT or SIDE facing". I don't understand how a unit which was facing a point could retain its side facing, since... That unit was not facing any side, but instead it was facing a point! (maybe I completely misunderstood the meaning of the sentence because English is not my first language, sorry! :oops:)

Thank you

Canis
Paul K

Re: Hordes & Heroes medieval hex facing questions

Post by Paul K »

Hi Canis,
1) Your interpretation of the movement seems fine - your assumptions are correct!
2) The ability of a unit to 'vector' is probably best explained by the example below:

A unit facing point can move though either of the adjacent hex sides to this hex point, into an adjoining hex, and still remain facing the same point direction in the new hex.

We have the updated H&H version nearly ready for publication on our website which clarifies a number of issues identified by players including some related to movement. We are currently doing a photo shoot and re-designing a few diagrams, again to give greater clarification in a few areas.
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk
Canis

Post by Canis »

Hi Paul, thank you for the response!

Can't wait for the update version of the rules :)

Canis
wargamorium

Post by wargamorium »

Hello

I am very interested in this question as well. I have never played with hexes before and am painting some HYW for my first game using these rules.

My query is:

I understand the 4 cases listed by Canis above but there does not seem to be any mention of the position if I rotate a unit more then one point or one side inside a hex. What is the penalty for that or is it possible?

I hope this is clear.

Regards

Robert
Paul K

Post by Paul K »

Hi Robert,
During your movement phase you can rotate any unit to face any point direction without movement cost.
Before shooting you, both in your and your oponents shooting phase you can rotate your shooters within a hex in order to shoot(unless your shooter unit is disrupted).
If any of your units are contacted by an enemy unit(hex-to-hex), they can automatically change facing and engage that unit in hand-to-hand contact(unless the contacted unit is disrupted).

I hope the this clarifies things. Sorry for the slightly delayed response.
Kind regards
Paul

wargamorium

Post by wargamorium »

Hi Paul

Thank you for that clarification which I will study and incorporate into my downloaded copy of the rules.

You mentioned above that you are planning to update the rules and I am looking forward to that.

Regards

Robert
Brussels
Canis

Post by Canis »

Hi to all.

Sorry to disturb you again, but the last response made me very confused...

Because in his last reply, Paul said that "During your movement phase you can rotate any unit to face ANY point direction WITHOUT movement cost", but this seems to contradict the previous rule we were discussing, i.e., that "any unit can alter its facing by (only) ONE hex side or point with no movement penality"...

Unfortunately, I am still having a lot of issues regarding the movement rules. For example, I still do not understand if I can change facing of a unit only AFTER having moved the unit into a new hex, or only BEFORE moving INTO a new hex, or BOTH.

I think I am experiencing these kind of issues because this is the first time I am trying to play an hex-based system, I usually play wargames without hex-system (like black powder). But since I am still painting my new kallistra samuai armies, I will try to resolve my movement issues at a later time...

Thank you,

Canis
Paul K

Post by Paul K »

Hi Callis,
I was refering to a situation where a unit remains in a hex and does not move from the original hex and effectively turns to face any hex point without cost. Any undisrupted unit contacted by an enemy unit can instantly turn to face the attacking unit. Shooters, again, only if undisrupted, can always adjust their point of facing before shooting in theii or the opositions shooting phase.

Any unit moving from one hex to another can do so through either of the two adjacent hex sides and at the same time alter its facing by one hex point without penalty therefore expending just one hex of movement.

The above is really all best explained using the diagrams in the updated H&H rules which are just awaiting the last few photos and revised army lists.
Kind regards
Paul

Canis

Post by Canis »

Dear Paul,
thank you very much for the quick reply, now I fully understand!

Best regards,

Canis
julias666

Post by julias666 »

Hi. I am new to this game, i understand that unit can change its facing by one hex side or point during move from occupied hex. But where is the rule that any (not shooters or artillery) unit can change its facing to any hex side or point if it stand still and dont move from its occupied hex.