WW2

Discussions about other hex based rules
dane

WW2

Post by dane »

I use Avlon Hill's Squad leader rules using Flames of war 15mm squad bases works really well and movement is really quick.
Dane
Zippee

Re: WW2

Post by Zippee »

I use PBI by Peter Pig - designed for squares but works well with hexes
bls62

Post by bls62 »

I use Avalon Hill "Panzer Leader" with 6mm miniature and 1hex = 500mt ,moviment and range of fire half of original
companycmd

Post by companycmd »

Yes. Hex Command Mechanized is designed exclusively for use with 4 inch hexagons and has been extremely successful.

An online version is now available for free

Letter size and booklet size PDF prints are available, and the entire Hex Command Series
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

I like simplicity so I am thinking about doing Memoire 44 using hexon terrain , not sure what scale I would use yet.
companycmd

Post by companycmd »

Well, all the pieces from Tide of Iron are 1/100 or close to 15mm scale; perhaps 10mm, but a 100mm hex which is basically 4 inch is what we use as well, where one stand of 1/72 infantry is a squad. I would absolutely NOT go with smaller scales and 4 inch hexes. Going with small scales brings the risk that you wont be able to get rid of the collection should you choose to do so and you'll be stuck with a large collection no one who is older than 40 will want should you choose to get rid of the scale and perhaps graduate to 28mm. That said however, Memoir 44 and such board games are basically aimed at large collection concepts, so if you choose 15mm your collection can be quite varied, but the 1/72 scale which I admit is my scale is far less expensive and easier especially with all the fast build models from Plastic Soldier Company, Italeri and Armourfast. If you would like the tide of iron board game, I can sell you the one I have so you can make a proper decision. Personally, I would go with Tide of Iron because it is the closest to Hex Command Mechanized there is on the pay market (HCM is free). I will sell you Tide of Iron which is used maybe twice for $40 plus shipping. imagineimage at Comcast dot net if interested.
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

yes I must admit the really small scales are starting to get a bit fiddly for me in my old age , I am thinking about selling off my 6mm scale stuff and just concentrating on 12mm. regarding ww2 I will stick with M44 thanks all the same. I might just try using the models that come with the game , on hexons using m44 rules and see if it works out - won't cost me anything to try it lol :-)
Flanker27S

Post by Flanker27S »

I do like 1/72 and 15mm for 20th century topics, you've got tons of quick build plastic models that let you save money, I'm partial to Zvezda, Plastic Soldier Company and Armourfast offerings; at least, that's what I use for these eras.
hammurabi70

Post by hammurabi70 »

Gabz wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:38 pm yes I must admit the really small scales are starting to get a bit fiddly for me in my old age , I am thinking about selling off my 6mm scale stuff and just concentrating on 12mm. regarding ww2 I will stick with M44 thanks all the same. I might just try using the models that come with the game , on hexons using m44 rules and see if it works out - won't cost me anything to try it lol :-)
I love my 6mm figures even though I now have to use spectacles but people at the club like to use 10mm or 15mm with Kallistra terrain.