Lancaster v Tudor - Game 1

Post your Battle Reports here
Paul K

Lancaster v Tudor - Game 1

Post by Paul K »

The two opposing armies constructed for this game both had 4 mounted men-at-arms and a couple of units of hobilar light horse for the Tudor and one for the Lancaster. The Tudor force had 3 additional units of retinue longbow and the Lancaster force had 3 units of crossbow equipped with pavisses to achieve the same points value.

The terrain was chosen and positioned by a member of the club borrowed from another game before any of the players had any knowledge about which armies were about to appear from the box! This is an often employed policy to spice-up the evening games.

The dice gave Tony, Chris and I the Lancaster force and Tim and Dave the Tudors. We deployed first and moved second. The Tudor army used their first move to take as much ground as they could, with Tim’s cavalry starting a flanking move around the large area of woodland and towards my left wing which was entirely composed of infantry. The Tudor longbow established a bow line from the aforementioned woodland across to an escarpment on our right.

Chris advanced the Lancaster longbow to engage in a shooting match with their Tudor equivalents and Tony positioned the Lancastrian cavalry behind the two crossbow units to await the right opportunity to charge. I was determined to advance my Lancastrian infantry to attack and take control of the large woodland from which I hoped to attack the Tudor longbow from the side.

Tim with a fair degree of encouragement from Dave, took the opportunity to make contact with my infantry with the vanguard of his cavalry force. This pinned my infantry in the open before the woodland through which Tudor infantry were now advancing. So as Chris and Tony ‘did their bit’ I was caught in the open and forced into forming a defensive line of billmen ready to receive a charge by 4 units of Tudor heavy cavalry.

Chris’s longbow shot well and Tony continued to manoeuvre his cavalry into position on our right. However, on my wing Tim’s Tudor horse charged into and demolished my infantry units which resulted in the loss of my general. I looked over to Tony who at this point had his head in his hands! Err, things were only going to get worse, and he knew it!

In our next tactical move I borrowed, stole, acquired Chris’s general in charge of the longbow to try and rescue the already disastrous situation I had created. Tony’s cavalry units headed across to aid my crumbling infantry and arrived just in time to witness their final destruction along with the loss of the general which I had just stolen from Chris!

After just 1 hour and 5 minutes our Lancastrians hoisted a white flag and conceded the game to Tim and Dave’s Tudors. We still had 2 hours of ‘playtime’ left so we set up again for another game!

Game Analysis
The very quick Lancastrian defeat was all my fault! Enough said!
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk