Skype Game; 100 Years war, English v French

Post your Battle Reports here
Paul K

Skype Game; 100 Years war, English v French

Post by Paul K »

Players: Alex in Ottawa, Canada; Paul in Nottinghamshire, England

The scenario
An English army encamped on an area of high ground just north of a fordable narrow river is about to be attacked by 2 separate French forces, one advancing along the road through a forest on the English side, the other appearing along another road leading to the only bridge across the river. The river can be crossed at any point by all units from either side. However, units must; stop in the hex adjacent to the river hex; take a full move to enter or leave the river into an adjacent hex; cannot change formation during movement into or out of the river or when occupying a river hex.
IMG_0701sm.jpg
abf02421-ae89-4f83-8efb-8ff5d86d89ffsm.jpg
abf02421-ae89-4f83-8efb-8ff5d86d89ffsm.jpg (61.44 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
IMG_0703sm.jpg
The terrain layout is designed to give the English army (Alex), just about enough time to respond to the two-pronged French attack from their starting deployment inside and around the English camp. The tented camp is surrounded by wooden stakes which can be lifted and used only by English longbow units.

The key strength of the combined French force was the 6 units of mounted men-at-arms (knights), and 5 units of dismounted men-at-arms. These were accompanied by 5 units of ‘C’ class crossbow equipped with pavisses. The key strength English force was the 8 units of longbow which, as stated, could extract wooden stakes from their encampment. They had 2 units of mounted men-at-arms, 4 units of mounted sergeants and 4 units of dismounted men-at-arms. Both armies had 3 generals.

Let the game begin!

The first move of the game was given to Alex in Canada, which seemed fair because I had created the scenario and had therefore had time to consider different strategies for both sides. Alex with a little coaching wasted no time in racing all his mounted units towards the bridge to block the French cavalry that had just appeared on the road. He also advanced 5 longbow and 2 dismounted men-at-arms towards the other French entry point along the road through the forest. The remaining 3 longbow units set about up-lifting stakes from the camp perimeter.
IMG_0705sm.jpg
IMG_0708sm.jpg
Knowing that the race to the bridge was lost, I decided to move 4 of my French mounted men-at-arms along the river to try and pull the English cavalry away from the centre of the field where I intended to launch an infantry attack. Over the next few moves my crossbow units advanced across the river to extend the line of the French men-at-arms. I committed 2 units of French knights to the task of taking the bridge blocked by an English general and one of the 2 units of English knights.
IMG_0709sm.jpg
In what should have been an even confrontation, the 2 French units were soundly defeated at the bridge sending them fleeing with the English general and his knights in pursuit. With one of the English generals and his unit now on the French side of the river there was a great opportunity for my other 4 units of mounted knights to attack across the river where they were confronted by the English mounted sergeants.
IMG_0710sm.jpg
IMG_0711sm.jpg
Meanwhile in the centre and on the English left the longbow units had established a shooting line and it took another couple of tactical moves before my French infantry was ready to attack. Hopefully, with the help of my, soon to be victorious French knights. Well, that was the plan, but we all know what can happen to best made plans once two armies collide!
IMG_0716sm.jpg
Four units of French knights plus a general against four units of English mounted sergeants should have been a safe bet for my French, even though the French were fighting across a fordable river. Alex had his own set of dice over in Canada and he kept holding them up to the camera to prove that the dice gods were definitely favouring the North Americans! My French knights were held in the river and my other 2 units were demolished by the wayward English general now on the French side of the river.
IMG_0723sm.jpg
I had little option at this point of the game; I had to launch a French infantry attack on the English longbow line without the anticipated simultaneous flank attack by French knights. At this point I needed some luck in the form of some poor shooting dice from Alex. This he failed to deliver! In what can only be described as excellent shooting 3 of my French dismounted men-at-arms were made to recoil or flee disrupted.
IMG_0722sm.jpg
After a very bruising cavalry battle of attrition, I finally managed to get 2 units of French knights and a general across the river. Unfortunately, it was far too late to save the French infantry from imminent defeat. And, between my remaining cavalry and French infantry waited 3 units of English longbow with stakes, a unit of English knights, 2 units of dismounted men-at-arms and to add insult to injury, the English general and his unit of knights was on his way back across the bridge in support! I conceded the game to Alex!

Game Analysis
The English cavalry dash to secure the only bridge and defend the riverbank effectively neutralised the French knights long enough to enable the English longbow to establish a well positioned shooting line. Once established this line delivered punishing waves of arrows to which the units of French crossbow and dismounted men-at-arms had no antidote. Without the expected flank support from the French knights still trapped at the river the French infantry were doomed!
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk