Tabletop terrain

Discussions about Kallistra's Hex Based Rules
wargamorium

Tabletop terrain

Post by wargamorium »

Hello

Can you tell me please if there is a formula for choosing the tabletop terrain. Page 8 of the H&H Medieval rules points me to a dedicated support section on the website but I can find no reference there.

A simple and elegant mechanism would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Robert
Paul K

Re: Tabletop terrain

Post by Paul K »

Hi Robert,
the rules support section of the website contains hex grids which you can use to plan your layout using the terrain features available. At the club we often ask a non playing member to choose and layout terrain features from a limited selection. Players then dice for choice of table edge and first deployment.
With two players , one could selct and layout the terrain and the other have choice of table edge.

I have a selection of sketches of different terrain layouts on the grid paper which I will scan and upload as examples.
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk
Cameronian

Post by Cameronian »

Create a table using playing card values which represent a type of terrain. Theoretically divide the surface into 4 or 6 sections and deal a card into each. For a road or river, each starts in the section where the card fell and runs to the opposite side.
wargamorium

Post by wargamorium »

Thank you both for your responses.

I can of course make up my own system but I just wondered if there was already a system in place which could be referred to to avoid disputes.

Thank you both for all your help.

Regards

Robert
Cameronian

Post by Cameronian »

I should of course have mentioned that DBA and Hordes of the Things (HOTT), among others, have systems for the selection and placing of terrain.
wargamorium

Post by wargamorium »

Hello Cameronian

I don't play either of those systems but my opponent with H&H is a DBA player so I am sure he will be able to advise me.

First game of H&H tomorrow night - should be fun.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards