WW1 Hex Rules

Discussions about Kallistra's Hex Based Rules
von Klinkerhoffen

WW1 Hex Rules

Post by von Klinkerhoffen »

Is there any update on how the Hex based rules are coming along to compliment your WW1 range?
von Klinkerhoffen
Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!
Paul K

Re: WW1 Hex Rules

Post by Paul K »

Hi @von Klinkerhoffen , we already have a set of WWI rules which were specifically written by a very good friend and WWI enthusiast which we have used many times to fight the battle of Cambrai. The plan is to use the same game mechanics to create a rule system to cover all the phases and theatres of the war. Ambitious yes, but we aim to have the western front early war set available by Salute next year for a large Battle of the Marne game – all hex based!
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk
von Klinkerhoffen

Sounds great.

Any chance of any sneak peeks?
von Klinkerhoffen
Paul K

Post by Paul K »

@von Klinkerhoffen, we will use the forum to keep people informed on the progress of these WW1 rules as they progress.
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

the Cambrai board looks really good , will you be doing either a top down photo of it or a plan so it can be replicated , when you get the chance ? thanks :D
Sally

Post by Sally »

The first draft of the WW1 1914 fast play, hex based rules played at Salute received very, very positive feedback. A few minor 'tweaks' needed and then we'll make them available. :)
Attachments
IMG_0448sm.jpg
von Klinkerhoffen

Looking forward to seeing these.
von Klinkerhoffen
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Had an opportunity to play the new ww1 rules at Salute last weekend. Thanks to Dane for organising and Paul for the terrain, figs etc.

I understand the rules are still in draft form and being worked on but certainly from the game we played they are working really well. Overall they are very simple and easy to pick up ( and i like simple!). 1 reference sheet covers everything. I had a brief scan through the rules on the train, but essentially picked them up after a couple of turns of play. Like all good rule sets they get out of the way and allow you to play an enjoyable game.

I really like the concept of Fire-Move. I can't think of any other system I've played that does that. It works really, really well for WWI. The feel was just right.

We stumbled a bit initially on Melee but i think that was more our understanding and realising you need to coordinate attacks, strange that :)

I don't really have any negatives, it was all good as far as i was concerned. Being v.picky, the only area that I'm not sure about is artillary fire. Because, at distance, fire always drifts, it felt a little wrong firing and counting on that drift factor. Hard to explain and not sure it is incorrect, just wonder if the quantity of drift should be variable...

Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed the game and the company of my fellow gamers and look forward to the final version being released.

Steve M
von Klinkerhoffen

Steve
I think you have answered my question I (just) posted on the 'New Video - Salute 2014 Battle of The Marne Game' post.

Sounds good from what you say, and not really possible for me to comment on your thoughts regarding artillery fire for obvious reasons.
von Klinkerhoffen
Sally

Post by Sally »

You will be pleased to know that the draft version of Raging Empires WW1 Rules are now available! :)
see here